Darren Rhodes: Live Glo Q&A on Thursday, April 16th

Join us on Thursday, April 16th at 12PM PDT for a Live Q&A with Darren Rhodes!

6 Likes

Hello! I’m glo glad to be here and look forward to communicating with you and answering any questions you might hatha-have!

Hi Darren! I am so happy that you are here right now. I was wondering what advice you have to help us stay sane during this time? I would love to hear how you are creating time and space for yourself, while still being in service to others. Thanks! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

For me, sadhana (practice) gives access to sanity. All the practices I’ve done are there for me; all I need to do is do them. This means I’ve been spending more time doing meditation, pranayama, and walking. Lastly, my theme for this year just happened to be: befriend boredOM. I’ve got lots of time to do that!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your time. I would love to know how you are balancing time with your children during this extended time at home.

is this a live video?

Wow has that been challenging. Home schooling = really tough for our boys and me too. I had such a difficult time in school so going into teacher mode is exactly what I don’t want to do. The way we do it: short spurts. 5 minutes then play time. The upside has been our boys who often fight are getting along better than ever; bonding in a way they never would have. I keep looking for those things to keep me strong-ish.

Hi @greglane, great question! Our Q&A sessions are held through the discussion board. @Asanaargyle will answer any questions you have here. Thanks!

it would be much more valuable if we can see Darren.

Hi Darren,
I’m new to Glo and started with your videos. I’m not flexible and was wondering which videos you would advise to work on that. Thank you :slight_smile:

Some things you might find useful. My son, just before the epidemic hit North America. He got pneumonia which actually might just have been the corona virus because the normal procedures were not working. He was in the PICU for 5 days. I saw first hand, tubes in his nose, IV, barely breathing what so many are now going through - makes it real to me. Anyone out there coming up face to face with the corona virus and finding ways practice supports then?

1 Like

Thanks for that feedback! Our Q&A sessions are new for Glo and it is wonderful to hear how we can improve in the future. For today’s session, Darren will be typing live for the next 45 minutes until 1pm PDT. We would love to hear from you. Feel free to ask any questions you might have!

Welcome to glo and I am sooooooo honored to know you started with my videos. My strong opinion is that inflexibility has no relationship to yoga ability. I do my best to make what could be difficult into more doable. I hope the videos that the moderators list offer you just that!

1 Like

I have definitely been feeling the effects of sitting on my couch more than usual lately, especially in my lower back. Any poses you recommend that may help? Thx!

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your son. Just wanted to say we miss Yoga oasis being open in Tucson. we love it when we visit there.

Hi Darren! What tips do you have for someone struggling to keep up their practice right now during the pandemic? I run and I bike on a weekly basis. But I want to keep practicing yoga at this time. I want the same energizing relief that running and biking provides but in my yoga practice.

Best ones I know = locusts; the once’s front body on the floor, arms along side torso, arms up legs up. Can also be hands bound; fingers interlaced behind head. These poses bring a natural curve into the low back and strengthen it. Even mountain poses arm over head and vigorously stretching with a few crescent poses in between will help because it lengthens spine.

1 Like

@Lien Here are a few!

class
Sunset Salutations
Vinyasa Flow with Darren Rhodes
20 mins • Level 1

class
Tight Hip Flexors Tutorial
Hatha with Darren Rhodes
10 mins • Level 1

class
Fun Flow
Hatha with Darren Rhodes
30 mins • Level 1-2

class
Archer's Aim
Hatha with Darren Rhodes
20 mins • Level 1-2

class
Compress and Decompress
Hatha with Darren Rhodes
20 mins • Level 1-2

class
Melt Your Quads and Psoas
Hatha with Darren Rhodes
15 mins • Level 1

class
Use the Ride to Your Advantage
Hatha with Darren Rhodes
10 mins • Level 1
1 Like

I decided to do a daring thing this weekend and see my brother for the first time in over a month. Yesterday, he called us to let us know that he has been exposed to coronavirus and is getting tested. This waiting period to find out if he tests positive, unclear of what I am supposed to do during this time, is really taking a toll on my headspace. Luckily Glo was there for me last night after I stress ate all the carbs in my house (oops).

I hope your little one is doing okay. I couldn’t imagine the overwhelming emotions that would have caused for you and your family. Thank you for sharing your story. It helps to know that we are not in this mode of panic alone.

1 Like

Yes, lots of loving thoughts to you, your family and son. An event like that effects many. I am a pediatric therapist and have worked in a PICU on the rehab side of things and seen many families go through similar events. The even centeredness of being present and unconditionally there with them is invaluable. Thank you for your clear, authentic, and direct teachings they help me every day.

2 Likes