How To: Headstand

Sirsasana 1, or “Headstand,” is often called “The King of Asana,” meaning the one pose that rules them all. Headstand provides the many benefits of being inverted: change of blood flow, an easing of gravity on the internal organs, improved posture and balance, and upper body and core strength.

Here is our very own Elena Brower, demonstrating how to get into a headstand with each step. For how to get out of headstand, following your breath, slowly with control bend your knees and make sure to flex your feet. It is important when bringing the body down, to do so through bent knees so that the feet (not just the toes) touch the ground when landing. This is also a safe way to fall, feet first with bent knees. Use your core to stabilize your body on its way down to make a safe landing. Always ensure there is never more than 20% of your weight being put on the head.

Namaste, and happy practicing.

33%20AM 38%20AM 26%20AM
57%20AM 09%20AM

3 Likes

I have no problem doing a tripod headstand with my hands on the ground. I am comfortable and stable. when I try to do this version I feel like my upper arms arent long enough and my entire weight rests on my head and neck. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it possible my body just isnt proportioned to accomodate?