Jason Crandell: Live Glo Q&A on Tuesday, April 21st

Join us on Tuesday, April 21 at 12PM PDT for a Live Q&A with Jason Crandell!

17 Likes

Hi Jason, I really like your analytical, technical and reflective way of teaching - when will you come to Dublin to teach a workshop…?

1 Like

Hey Everyone,

I’m LIVE and ready for your questions about practicing and teaching!

1 Like

I’d love to come back to Dublin. I taught there 8 years ago and loved it!

1 Like

Hi Jason. Thanks for your classes on Glo. I love your pace and precision. I’m wondering how often you practice yourself and how long you usually practice…

Hi Jason! Thank you so much for your great classes and for being here. I was wondering, in daily asana classes, what do you think is a good balance between doing general classes that try to cover the whole body vs. specialized classes that focus on a specific area?

3 Likes

HI Jason. So happy to talk to you here.
I am doing your Glo classes every morning. I have a bad right hip and of course the scoliosis and now recovering from lymphoma on my lower right pelvic area. Any tips on your classes or poses? I started back on yoga regularly since January!

1 Like

I’m trying to keep my now online classes as accessible as possible and offer lots of variations but feel I am spending more time explaining things (i.e., giving people different options on what props to use AND what to use in case they don’t have props). Also, because students can’'t have a quick peak at each other, I feel my verbal cues are becoming wordier. Any tips for how to simplify online cues while still offering variations to keep the practice accessible and trauma-informed?

Hi Franzii, Well… life is pretty odd these days, but, for the most part, I’ve had a consistent home practice for a little over 20 years. I usually do an active practice that is short–30-45 minutes–every other day. I also do some basic weight-training. In non-covid times, I also train in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu approx 4 days a week.

1 Like

Hello Jason,
You are my favorite yoga teacher on Glo. When will you come to Zürich?
A.

First, you can’t go wrong. If you’re practicing consistently–whether whole body, thorough practices or specialized practices–you’re going to have a positive benefit. In general, if you’re looking to maintain basic quality of life, go for general practices. If you’re looking to make specific headway on certain postures or topics, you’ll have to focus more specfically.

3 Likes

Dearest Jason,
In these troubled times how do you think we find a balance between active and tapas-focused practice and more yin, restorative work? Do you think one should have priority over another? I find that with an inability to be active I am wanting to use my yoga practice as ‘exercise’ but that then overwhelms the internal, meditative and grounding practice.
Thanks in advance! JULIE

2 Likes

Random, but do you have thoughts on having hands flat to the floor or block vs being on fingertips in Parsakonasana?

1 Like

Tina!!! It’s so good to hear from you. Honestly, I think it would be better to give you some direct thoughts in another context since I know you and your practice. Generally speaking, though, we need to help you maintain general health and well-being by doing whatever feels appropriate in the moment!

1 Like

Thanks for doing this chat – I really love your classes.

I have super tight hips and hamstrings, which manifests about once a year in my lower back going out (I’m only 34 so this isn’t the best news). I’ve learned so much from you already about accommodating my own body in my practice; that said, I’m frustrated with the slow progress of gaining and maintaining flexibility (I’ve been practicing for nearly 12 years, although not as consistently as I’d like!). Any advice for getting and staying looser?

Hi Jason, I’m sometimes getting tension headaches from doing to much activities. I think I’m using my upper trapezius muscles to much and my lower trapezius muscles not enough. Any tips on strengthening, lengthening or focusing to prevent this from happening?

It’s so tough to provide cues that are appropriate for all people at all times. In fact, it’s probably not going to happen. I think it’s good that you’re seeing that trying to get it right for everyone is making things wordier. Right now, my advice is to be simple, clear, and straightforward. You don’t have to ensure that everyone is doing everything to a “T.” Just stick to honest, accessible language and trust that your students are sensible enough to figure some things out for themselves.

2 Likes

Hi Jason! As a teacher, how often do you change your sequence for a level 2 class?

*Edited to add - under normal circumstances.

Hi Jason,
I am a runner and have been for twenty years. I have done yoga sporadically over the years but this year have been practising almost daily since early January. I have very tight hamstrings and even with the extra practice, do not feel that these are becoming any more flexible. Do you have any suggestions for poses or stretches that might help? Many thanks, Claire

1 Like

You have remarkably good taste! Yeah, I’d love to come to Zurich, especially if they open restrictions on Barbers. It would be worth the cost of the flight!

1 Like