Mind: We should all have the right to breathe

31_BLM_E-05 BlackoutTuesday_ResourcesGuide-02 BlackoutTuesday_ResourcesGuide-05 31_BLM_E-08-08-08

We have been using this time to listen and learn and we plan to accelerate our efforts to become more inclusive and diverse. We are committed to making our space supportive and empowering for our BIPOC community members, thus helping to inspire change within the wellness industry. This community is a safe space to have an open dialogue and we invite you to do so.

2 Likes

I got online to choose a new teacher to practise with, I see a lot of white faces. With BLM raging on, I am thinking, how diverse is Glo? I cannot believe that only people in the West practising yoga are white. It’s nice to put up a poster to ask the community to support BLM and this is necessary to the campaign but this doesn’t say much about Glo’s stance. I logged out eventually, with this hanging on my mind, I couldn’t find someone to practice with. Maybe it is time to find another service where I see colourful faces as a way to truly support the discriminated. I’m so glad BLM puts this in our face, it can’t be shrugged off.

1 Like

@MGY We appreciate your reaching out with this and completely we agree.

We have been using this time to listen and learn and we plan to accelerate our efforts to become more inclusive and diverse, including working with teachers and partners of color.

We are also donating to the NAACP and are in dialogue with a nonprofit to support yoga professionals in the BIPOC community.

We are committed to making our space supportive and empowering for our BIPOC community members, thus helping to inspire change within the wellness industry.

Behind the platform that is Glo, there are a bunch of caring hearts, and we’re grateful for our caring Glo community. We sincerely appreciate your writing in with this, it is people like you that help us grow and create positive change.

Thank you for giving us grace while we continue to better ourselves and empower our community.

Hi Hannah, I am glad to receive your reply. I used to practice at a studio for years, 6x a week. I was dismayed then, that they were not well represented. I also voiced my concerns at that time, but I got strange looks. Just yesterday, they updated their policies to include 50% BIPOC in their teachers line up. BLM protests matters.

Yoga came from India, one of the poorest countries in the world. In the west it had become a thing of class, with the likes of Gywneth Paltrow and designer yoga clothes, instagram mania. All the esoteric teachings are lost on me when I hear a teacher go on whilst flashing her DKNY leggings. Yoga, teaches self awareness, applying our consciousness, if all yoga centres in the world do not act now, we are only moving along in deception. No amount of yogic/vedic affirmations can change our deep rooted attitudes. Yoga has the potential to create a refuge so deep we cut off from the world but this will be mistaken as at the root of yogic teachings is one of compassion and inclusion. We should have harnessed the awareness by now (having embraced yoga in the West) to realise that the our practice demands we ask questions on inclusion and discrimination.

I truly hope Glo does something about it and prove this isn’t just about branding. It should set an industry standard in order to motivate the rest to do the same.

1 Like

We hear you and are aligned with what you’ve shared. Thank you for your beautiful words and thank you for believing in Glo as we march forward on making a positive change.