Rod Stryker: Live Glo Q&A on Thursday, April 9th

Hi Yogarupa,

I find myself moving between 2 places… one where I’m in this still place (usually when I’m in nature but nature is even closed now or when I take your online classes) and I see the mind interpreting what is happening and feel far removed from it. Then at other times I feel this intense wave of tension move through my body (something I cannot move out of). It’s almost like a swinging happening right now. This tension feels like a reactivation of past events related to security.

My meditation and chant is distant now (before it would come out of stillness - the stillness was rich and deep), but I’m also noticing the stillness is almost distant nowadays in meditation.

Is it something to just have compassion for? I’ve gone into my sympathetic nervous system and now it’s time to do more Nidra and move into the parasympathetic nervous? Stop forcing my meditation to be what it was before and accept what it is today?

Perhaps any guidance would be good… although I know you might say the answer is already in your question.

1 Like

Thank you so much…I do have a baseline of stability so maybe that’s why I’m feeling called to to the Agni Sara…also doing your Yoga Nidra practice daily to prepare for your upcoming Parayoga Nidra online…cannot wait…thank you :purple_heart:

1 Like

Thank you. I will try those. And also pranayama as suggested in an earlier post.:pray:

So nice to hear from you both here! Stay tuned for more classes and courses on Glo…I’m hoping to film for them in June.

7 Likes

Many thanks! We are very happy to hear it. Take care. :pray::heart:

Hi Sparrow: it’s a multi-dimensional approach. The focus is both physiological and energetic, depending on the effect we want to create from the class, there’s an array of different energetic outcomes that we can achieve, depending on the breath technique and asanas we choose. We go into this in great depth in the Vinyasa Krama online course, hosted by Glo. The focus is on elegance: how to, as efficiently as possible, achieve our intended goals, be they energetic or physiological.

Vinyasa Krama

2 Likes

Hey Rod, no question, just sending love from afar! xo Kathryn

5 Likes

Hello Wanda:
Traditionally, they are not two parts of the same thing, they are different. Purusha is consciousness and prakriti is how consciousness is expressed. Purusha is one; prakriti is many.

3 Likes

Hi, when I take your classes on Glo I find inhaling in the standing poses challenging. If you suggest to work with the movement I have to move pretty fast with the inhale. Any suggestions? Thanks, Rosa

Hey IB, nice to see you here. Some teachers make the case that they’re identical; that’s not my perspective. The main distinction is that we advance yoga nidra through complete surrender, or letting go. We advance through meditation through concentration combined with surrender. The recommendation is that you make meditation the central part of your practice. Yoga nidra, while a complete practice unto itself, helps to deepen meditation. In terms of the order of the practices, you can do it either way: yoga nidra first, or meditation first, if you are combining them in one practice.

3 Likes

Is viloma pranayama more stregthening and nadi shodna por calming or balacing?

1 Like

Hello Yogarupa, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. I was wondering how the current crisis is influencing your practice. What parts of your practice do you find soothing and most helpful? Has anything changed?

During times of increased instability and uncertainty, our emphasis should be on stability and grounding practices. Sometimes even heart centered practices can destabilize during times like these. Forward bends, twists, standing, balancing poses: longer holds are ideal. Mudras that emphasize grounding and lower chakras are ideal.

5 Likes

Hi Rod, I am actually reading the four desires right now!

I recently created a rough draft of my dharma code and got some really valuable feedback from mentor. I am having a tough time getting my dharma code to feel ‘right.’ Currently it’s 5+ sentences long, incorporates my ideas and my mentors suggestions, but I’m feeling a bit stuck with it before I am able to move onto the rest of the exercises. It doesn’t seem quite simple enough nor carries the essence I want. Any thoughts on how to get unstuck at the step?

Thank you!

1 Like

HI Auroriet: thanks for your question. If nothing else, alternate nostril breathing is probably the best general practice I can recommend, for most people.

3 Likes

:pray:t3:

Hi Alex, thanks for reaching out. The cause of our fear doesn’t change. The circumstances that cause our fear do. The key is to direct the mind to the changeless. This is the part of you that remains the same. Always. To know it it to know that which is beyond fear. This is the time to anchor into it even more fully.

5 Likes

Thank you and gratitude for all of yourself you are giving during this period. I hope to take part in one of you upcoming Zoom events.

1 Like

Thank you so much for all of the support and guidance that you put out ALL the time and for adding to that during this difficult time. I am finding that being alone in quarantine is enriching my meditation/pranayama practice and I have your courses to thank for that. I am forever grateful, namaste

3 Likes

Thank you!