Sustainability in the Everyday

Sustainability can be applied in so many different realms of life. From business to mental health, sustainability put us on a new path both on a global and individual level. As individuals, our actions collectively add up. That’s why it’s crucial that we take small steps in our everyday lives towards a sustainable future. Whether it’s deciding to use public transportation, buying used clothing, or even just meditating for a fresh perspective on life, sustainability can manifest itself in a variety of ways. Sustainability, for me, is about living harmoniously, intentionally, and compassionately with the future always in mind. How does sustainability play a role in your everyday life?

4 Likes

:clap: Remembering that everything on Earth is connected and that our everyday choices MATTER is so important! Thanks for starting this conversation Luke! We should all be thinking about our sustainability choices on a daily basis like we think of what we want to eat for each meal, which route should we take to work today etc. Changing our habits is possible. Don’t grab that produce bag for your avocados and oranges, don’t get that single-use cutlery when you are eating at home, bring your own to-go coffee mug (it’ll keep it hotter longer anyways)! I feel like being more sustainable makes me a more compassionate person in my personal relationships as well.

4 Likes

Love this so much! Definitely inspires me to take small, but meaningful steps in my everyday life. Thanks so much, Luke!

1 Like

This is great. I went on a clothes diet for a year - no new clothes (except the absolute necessary) and it really changed the way I shopped. I read a really heartbreaking article in The Times about the suicide rate for cotton farmers in India, who were unable to keep up with the demand for throwaway fashion.

My consumption still isn’t perfect - but my choices are determined by my budget and what I have access to. Underwear and swimwear is still difficult to find products that are really suitable for me.

But yeah. Clothes diet.

I also started to realise that most electronic goods are made in sweatshops. Again, in 2017 there were mass suicides in Chine from the workers in the Apple factory. Same issue. So the problem is both an ethical and environmental - I try to buy second hand electricals, and although there isn’t much available fairtrade, it’s starting to be looked at.

2 Likes

A clothes diet. I love that! And yes, cotton farming and electronics manufacturing is a real disruptor environmentally and socially.

Large fashion companies like LVMH and Kering can play a huge role in this and change the way people think about clothing, style, and fashion, and consumption at large.

I think companies like Patagonia have the right idea: https://www.fastcompany.com/90411397/exclusive-patagonia-founder-yvon-chouinard-talks-about-the-sustainability-myth-the-problem-with-amazon-and-why-its-not-too-late-to-save-the-planet

But as a consumer, buying second hand and getting the value out of reused goods is a nice start! I hope more and more companies can revolutionize how we consume and reuse. I hope one day the process of recycling and reusing becomes second nature, no matter where you are in the world. These large multi-national corporations can help us out and change the way we consume! But we can all do our part as well. Thrift stores aren’t a bad start!

1 Like