Yin v Restorative

Hi
Can some one explain the fundamental difference between Yin & Restorative Yoga please?
Many Thanks
Emma

1 Like

Hi, sure!
yin yoga you hold the poses for 3 to 5 minutes, you don’t use many props, and you are taking care of the connective tissue. it does also have benefits on the mind and is a very deep and intense practice. Restorative yoga uses a lot of props, it’s often used to recover from other intense practices, you can hold the poses even 10 minutes or more but it’s never too intense. Restorative yoga is really for everybody and it’s not intense. (by intense in this case I mean painful)

4 Likes

Okay, so I have a slightly different definition from my own practice. While it was defined as a brief statement on my training as above, I’ve found that also, to some, restorative can be working very specifically with longer holds but also with therapeutic alignment for injury, strain or imbalance.

Yin is seen as holding poses for 3-5 minutes, but that’s still just yoga - what makes it yin is the way that you approach the pose itself. Yin is from the feminine, which means the breath is different (often softer), there is less of a focus on working the muscles and more on “stressing” joints or working into the deeper layers of tissue. You can practice any kind of yoga in a “yin” way - but there are accepted practices. When I’ve been travelling, IMHO people’s definitions can vary pretty wildly on which is which.

When I practice and teach restorative, there is usually a lot more going on and I tend to focus on either therapeutic alignment, using the principle of yielding to gain energy and nourishment from the earth or working on the internal experience of the body to facilitate the process of healing. And that’s what I’ve noticed here as well, in the classes available.

1 Like

Thanks so much for that explanation, its fascinating and I will dive deeper. Also sorry for the late reply, I never use the desktop version so do not check in on the forums. why Glo have not addressed this i’ve no idea as I feel when looking at them, especially after an long absence, that they are being woefully under used, thank you again.